Today, the long-awaited ‘Report of the Inter-Departmental Committee to establish the facts of State involvement with the Magdalene Laundries’ was published. And it makes for grim reading.
Some figures from the report
- Number of women who spent time in the laundries since 1922: 10,012 (this figure excludes the two laundries run by the Sisters of Mercy)
- Average age at time of entry: 23.8
- Age of youngest known entrant: 9
- Age of oldest known entrant: 89
- Deaths occurring in the laundries from 1922: 879 (this figure excludes the two laundries run by the Sisters of Mercy)
- Age of youngest at time of death: 15
- Age of oldest at time of death: 95
You can find the link to read the entire report on the justice.ie website here.